Despite the new gymnasium, administrators felt pressure to move — pressure from USF, which wanted the Stanyan Street structure for its own plans to expand, and pressure from a growing student body eager for a modern campus.
The decade was marked by a string of athletic victories that made SI the athletic powerhouse of the city.
The decade of the 1950s saw a period of stability at both SI and in the nation. Another institutional change occurred at SI when the high school and USF formally parted ways by the end of the decade, incorporating as separate institutions.
Ralph Tichenor, SJ, as principal, and under his five-year tenure the school finally built its gymnasium. Robert Leonard, SJ, who had served the school as vice principal for four years.
SI strove to be an island of tranquility in this decade, as world events, such as the Korean War and the Communist witch-hunts, led by Senator Joseph Mc Carthy, swirled outside the school’s walls. Rooney, SJ, the Jesuit Education Association director who inspected SI in 1938, made a return inspection in 1950.